Followers

Friday, October 22, 2010

Some of the art pieces I did essays on

This is Woman of Willendorf. Its a tiny figurine that was possibly made for fertility reasons. It was made in Paleolithic times.


This is Toreador fresco, it was done by the Minoans.


This is a Jericho Skull, it was done in Neolithic times and was used for burial purposes


This is called Snake Goddess and was also done by the Minoans





This is a Greek statue. Blinding the Cyclops. The story behind it is of a group of men who got caught by the cyclops, who was going to eat them. The head guy gave the cyclops some wine, which he had never had before. The cyclops thanked the guy and said as a reward he would eat him last and asked him his name. The guy replied with "my name is nobody", now the cyclops kept drinking the wine and soon fell asleep. When he fell asleep the men grabbed a spear and stabbed the cyclops in the eye blinding him. The cyclops woke up screaming for help to the other cyclops, when they called back and asked who was attacking him, the first cyclops yelled "Nobody, Nobody is attacking me!" and with that the men escaped safely.


Enjoy. I may post more later if you guys liked it

17 comments:

  1. Ugh history is mind blowing. Great pieces hope you did well on the essays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a HUGE paper on the Venus of Willendorf. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jericho skull is very alien looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool stuff I enjoy learning about this stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. It remember me when I used to study at primary school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, so the history of Western Art is a tad more interesting than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pieces are pretty neat. I think I've seen most of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Minoan one's are really nice! And that one based off the Oddeysey is pretty cool, having read the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool stuff, look forward to more post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, love the cyclops story. nobody always does it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pieces of art. Why did you write about them?

    @Pandor42: "nobody always does it"

    Not one person does it all the time? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skull kind of scares me to be honest.

    ReplyDelete